1. To what time did the 2300-day prophecy point?
Daniel 8:17. ___________________________________
"Behold, I will make thee know what shall be in the last end of the indignation: for at the
time appointed the end shall be." Daniel 8:19.
2. How long was the book of Daniel to be closed up?
Daniel 12:9 ___________________________________
3. Revelation pictures a mighty angel with what in his hand?
Revelation 10:1,2 ________________________________
Revelation 10 makes unmistakable reference to the book of Daniel:
Daniel 12:5-7. "Then I Daniel looked, and, behold, there stood other two, the one on this side of the bank of the river, and the other on that side of the bank of the river, How long shall it be to the end of these wonders? And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half : and when he shall have accomplished to scatter the power of the holy people, all these things shall be finished."
Revelation 10:5-7. "And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, and sware by him that livith for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein , that there should be time no longer, but in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets."
4. The mystery would soon be finished as God had declared to whom?
Revelation 10:7 _____________________________________
5. Where were the angel's feet?
Revelation 10:2 _____________________________________
"And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters he called the Seas."
6. In Bible prophecy, what do waters symbolize?
Revelation 17:15 ___________________________________
"Upon the sea and upon the earth." Revelation 10:5. The book of Daniel was to be opened in an area occupied by many nations, and also in a sparsely-populated land.
In 1800 Daniel was a closed book. In 1812 the study of prophecy began in England. It soon took hold throughout Europe, Asia, and Africa. Soon more than a hundred writers from a wide variety of denominations were interpreting Bible prophecy. Loosed by the hand of the prophetic clock, scores of men, representing over a dozen nations on four different continents, independently and simultaneously began predicting the fulfillment of the 2300-day prophecy.
In the united States, the most noted expositor of Daniel 8:14 was a Baptist, William Miller. He and 43 ministers of 13 denominations unleashed perhaps the greatest prophetic awakening in American history. By a through study of the 2300-day prophecy, they discovered that the 2300-days would expire on October 22, 1844.
7. When the book of Daniel was still in their mouths, what would it be like?
Revelation 10:8-10 _____________________________________
"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart." Jeremiah 15:16
"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" Psalm 119:103.
8. But after it was swallowed, what would happen?
Revelation 10:9-10 _____________________________________
It was commonly believed that the ear was the sanctuary to be cleansed, and that Jesus would come at the end of the 2300-day period. No message could have been sweeter. Many gladly gave up their jobs and spent their life's savings to spread the wonderful news. But when the date passed by and Jesus did not return, they experienced the most bitter disappointment of their lives.
9. Those who had experienced the bitter disappointment were told they must do what again?
Revelation 1o:11 __________________________________
10. What was to be measured?
Revelation 11:1 _____________________________________
11. Where was the temple of God opened?
Revelation 11:19 ___________________________________
12. What does the apostle call the temple of God in heaven?
Hebrews 8:2 _____________________________________
13. The earthly tabernacle, being true to its pattern, served as an example and shadow of what?
Hebrews 8:5 _______________________________________
14. How is the heavenly tabernacle rated, compared to the earthly?
Hebrews 9:11 _______________________________________
15. Who is the High Priest of the heavenly sanctuary?
Hebrews 9:11 ______________________________________
"Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus." Hebrews 3:1.
16. What two apartments of the earthly tabernacle did the veil divide?
Exodus 26:33 _________________________________________
17. What is another name for the most holy place?
Hebrews 9:3 ______________________________________
18. How often did the earthly high priest go into that apartment?
Hebrews 9:7 _______________________________________
19. What was the purpose of the blood which he took in with him?
Hebrews 9:7 ________________________________________
The earthly Day of Atonement which occurred "once every year" is described in Leviticus 16. It symbolized the word Jesus would begin in the most holy place of the heavenly sanctuary in 1844.
20. What were all the people to do on that day?
Leviticus 16:29 __________________________________________
To the Jews the Day of Atonement was a solemn day of judgment. The Jewish encyclopedia describes it as follows: "God, seated on His throne to judge the world...open the Book of Records; it is read, every man's signature being found therein. The great trumpet is sounded; a still, small voice is heard; the angels shudder, saying, this is the day of judgment... On the Day of Atonement it is sealed who shall live and who are to die."
21. What would this atonement do for the people?
Leviticus 16:30 ___________________________________
22. What would this make for the holy sanctuary and for the tabernacle?
Leviticus 16:33 ___________________________________
23. Why did the sanctuary need an atonement?
Leviticus 16:16 ______________________________________
24. It was necessary also that the patterns and heavenly things themselves should be what?
Hebrews 9:23 _______________________________________
25. In one word, what was to be done to the sanctuary at the end of the "2300 days?"
Daniel 8:14 ________________________________________
For further study on this subject see information Booklet "D" entitled, The Gospel in the Old Testament. See pages above.
In the Light of God's Word...
- I understand that the Old Testament sanctuary services illustrated Christ's work in the plan of salvation.
- I understand, that, just as the Old Testament Passover service illustrated Christ's sacrifice on the cross, so the old "Day of Atonement" illustrated the great atonement our High Priest is now making for us in the heavenly sanctuary.
Next Lesson: The Cleansing of the Sanctuary